Why, Thank You?
What’s the best (or rather, worst) backhanded compliment you’ve ever received? If you can’t think of any — when’s the last time someone paid you a compliment you didn’t actually deserve?
I’ve been told more than once, always by a man, that I “think like a man.” It is always said with warm approval and a huge attitude of shock on the part of the man.
I find this “compliment” highly questionable and rather offensive. There are so many derivative statements that apply:
1. Women don’t think. They feel.
2. It is better to think like a man.
3. It is surprising that any woman actually thinks, and that she thinks like a man is just shocking.
4. If women all thought as men do, the world would be a better place.
5. All male thinking is better than all female thinking.
I could go on, but that’s more than enough. I would remind these benighted men that God created Eve because Adam needed a little help.
Apparently, thinking like a man wasn’t going to be the only possible acceptable option.
Come on, guys. Take it in the lighthearted spirit in which it’s written.